- Monthly average crude oil prices increased in all sales categories in May. The average domestic crude oil first purchase price rose $2.93 (4.9%) to $62.80 per barrel.
- The average free-on-board (f.o.b.) cost of imported crude oil climbed $3.09 (5.4%) to $60.63 per barrel. The average landed cost of foreign crude oil increased $2.43 (4.0%) to $62.48 per barrel.
- The average refiner acquisition cost for domestic crude oil rose $2.69 (4.3%) to $65.94 per barrel. The average cost of imported crude oil increased $2.95 (4.8%) to $63.81 per barrel. The composite refiner acquisition cost for crude oil rose $2.76 (4.4%) to $65.15 per barrel.
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of motor gasoline climbed again in May. The average retail price rose 13.2 cents to $2.625 per gallon, while the average wholesale price increased 12.6 cents to $2.181 per gallon.
- Sales of finished motor gasoline by refiners increased in May. Total sales grew 5.9 million gallons per day (1.9%) to an average of 310.1 million gallons per day. Retail sales rose 500,000 gallons per day (2.4%), while wholesales climbed 5.4 million gallons per day (1.9%). DTW sales accounted for 6.5% of wholesales, while rack and bulk sales made up 90.4% and 3.2%, respectively.
No. 2 distillate
- Refiner prices for sales of No. 2 distillates rose in May. The monthly average price for No. 2 diesel fuel sold to end users increased 11.9 cents to $2.209 per gallon, while the average wholesale price climbed 16.1 cents to $2.072 per gallon. The average retail price for No. 2 fuel oil rose 10.6 cents to $2.291; the wholesale price also increased 10.6 cents, rising to $1.806 per gallon.
- Refiner wholesale sales of No. 2 ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel fell 7.9 million gallons per day (5.3%), to 142.2 million gallons per day.
Residual fuel oil
- May monthly average prices for refiner sales of residual fuel oil rose from April levels. The average retail price for residual fuel oil rose 0.4 cent to $1.760 per gallon, while the average wholesale price increased 5.0 cents to $1.736 per gallon.
- Overall, refiner residual fuel oil sales were flat at 6.9 million gallons per day in May. Retail sales fell 200,000 gallons per day (10.0%), while wholesales increased 200,000 gallons per day (4.1%).
- Monthly average prices for refiner sales of the remaining surveyed products show mixed movements in May. Prices for kerosene-type jet fuel, aviation gasoline, and No. 1 distillate increased in both the retail and wholesale categories, while propane prices show the opposite trend. Kerosene prices also decreased at the wholesale level.
- Refiner sales of these products varied during May. Kerosene-type jet fuel and aviation gasoline sales increased at the retail level, but fell at wholesale. Propane sales declined at retail, but increased at wholesale, while sales of No. 1 distillate registered declines in both sales categories. Kerosene sales rose at the wholesale level during May.